I shared this on my fitness instagram page LOVEBYLYNNFITNESS but I wanted to permanently share it here for you! It’s a good one and something that I really believe in and have been doing for years. It works! My 3 tips to building muscle. Let me know what you think.
1. PICK 1-2 MUSCLE TO LIFT FOR EACH DAY: Lift 1-2 muscle groups each day, so for example…
Monday: chest & triceps
Tuesday: back & biceps
Thursday: shoulders & abs
Saturday: cardio & abs
Sunday: rest day or cardio
This is an example of what I do, but lately I’ve been adding in 3 glute days do build my booty!
This will allow you to focus on those muscles and really work each one without overthinking it.
This is also an example of how my current body guide is & also how the next one will be. I’ve seen the biggest difference in myself doing it this way for 7+ years, which is why I’m super passionate about it. .
2. EAT THE RIGHT CALORIES: eat a good balance of protein, fat and carbs. The ratio varies from person to person, so I can’t tell you what you should be eating, everyone is different, but what I shoot for at the moment is 35% protein & 35% protein & 30% fat.
I talk more about it in this post on MACROS.
If you’ve never counted your macros, I highly recommend it. It teaches you so much about the ratio and what should be on your plate. That way if you want to stop counting, you know what’s in what and how much you should have of the macros just by eye balling.
3. DRINK WATER: Here is 7 reasons why you should!
1. Be less cranky. Research says dehydration can affect your mood and make you grumpy and confused. Think clearer and be happier by drinking more water.
2. Perform better: Proper hydration contributes to increased athletic performance. Water composes 75% of our muscle tissue! Dehydration can lead to weakness, fatigue, dizziness, and electrolyte imbalance.
3. Lose weight: Sometimes we think we are hungry, when actually we are thirsty. Our body just starts turning on all the alarms when we ignore it. For those of you trying to drop some pounds, staying hydrated can serve as an appetite suppressant and help with weight loss. I love using this LARGE 24oz PINK starbucks container! It holds so much water and if this is always by me, I know I’ll take sips every few minutes.
4. Have less joint pain. Drinking water can reduce pain in your joints by keeping the cartilage soft and hydrated. This is actually how glucosamine helps reduce joint pain, by aiding in cartilage’s absorption of water.
5. Flush out waste and bacteria. Our digestive system needs water to function properly. Waste is flushed out in the form of urine and sweat. If we don’t drink water, we don’t flush out waste and it collects in our body causing a ton of problems. It’s kinda gross if you think about it, so drink up! Also combined with fiber, water can cure constipation.
6. Prevent headaches: Sometimes headaches can be caused by dehydration, so drinking water can prevent or alleviate that annoying head pain. Next time your head hurts, try drinking water.
7. Make your skin glow: obviously this one is my favorite! Our skin is the largest organ in our body. Regular and lots of water consumption can improve the color and texture of your skin by keeping it building new cells properly. It also helps the skin do it’s job of regulating the body’s temperature through sweating. .
My goal is to refill my 24oz cup 3-4 times a day. .
Last but not least, BE CONSISTENT with all these things. Good things take time & patience. None of us are perfect, but do your best everyday and make it a habit!
Have a good day!